The Russ Anderson/SMC Figure 8 (with ears) is one of the most popular full-sized descenders used by professionals throughout the rescue, fire service, police/tactical and industrial/work related markets. This is the smaller of two sizes of Figure 8 (the other is a non-NFPA model). This model is ideal for working with a single or a double wrap of rope up to 1/2” in diameter. The ”ears” of this design help to eliminate the potential for ropes slipping up into a girth hitch and also make it easier to ”tie off” when rappelling. The oval carabiner hole doubles as a belay plate for up to 1/2” rope. Machined from 1/2” thick, solid aluminum, heat-treated bar and then finished with a very tough, hard-anodized finish for extra durability.
- Used by professionals as a descender
- Machined from ½ inch heat-treated aluminum alloy plate for high strength, and given a hard coat anodized finish
- The carabiner hole is oval for use as a belay plate
- Weight: 6.5 oz.
- Rope size: 9.5mm – 16mm
- Material: Aluminum
- Finish: Hard-coat anodized
- Strength: 32 kN
- Dimensions: 6″ x 5.25″ x 0.5″ (at ears)
- Mountain & urban rescue
- Industrial-work related
- Tactical—military & law enforcement
- Fire departments
- Mountaineering & caving